For more information contact: Jessica Keavney, Aquatics Director JKeavney@rocklandymca.org or 643-3052
The Y is “America’s Swim Instructor” and the most accessible community resource to prevent drowning and encourage a lifelong enjoyment of swimming. The Y introduced the country to the concept of group swim lessons more than 100 years ago, (1909), and each year, the Y teaches more than a million children invaluable water safety and swimming skills. As one of the largest community-based organizations in the country, the Y owns or manages over 2,000 pools. Thanks to its size and reach, the Y is in a unique position to help bridge the gap in the delivery of swim lessons and water safety education in the U.S.—especially in underserved communities.
There are three general categories of Y Swim Lessons:
- Swim Starters develops water enrichment and aquatic readiness in children ages six months to three years. This category focuses on developing swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences. Parents also learn how to supervise children in the water, how to prevent accidents and how to plan for emergencies.
- Swim Basics develops personal water safety and basic swimming skills in students of all ages. Swimmers develop a high level of comfort in the water by practicing safe water habits, engaging in underwater exploration, and learning how to swim to safety and exit if they fall into a body of water.
- Swim Strokes introduces and refines stroke technique in older students (school age, teens and adults). Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
NEXT SWIM LESSONS SESSION IS WINTER 2019:
January 7th- March 3rd Once a week for 8 weeks
There will be 1 make up allowed per session, but it must be scheduled with the Aquatics Department in advance.
- December 17th for members
- December 26th for non members
If you are a member you can register online: https://register.rocklandymca.org/ymca/login.php
SWIM CLASS FAQ
How do I know what level my child is in group lessons?
Please click here for a YMCA Lesson Selector - If you need further assistance -please call the Aquatics Department to schedule a swim level evaluation.
When can I sign up for group swim lessons?
Registration for classes is generally open 2-3 weeks before sessions start and close after the first week of classes. There is no rollover registration. All classes have limited availability and fill up quickly.
Make-Up Policy - We do offer one makeup class during a session. This makeup MUST be scheduled in advance w/ the Aquatic Director and must take place during that session - no exceptions.