Jessica Keavney, Aquatic Director JKeavney@rocklandymca.org
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Courses
This course trains you for work as a lifeguard. Upon successful completion of the course, you are certified by the American Red Cross (ARC) as trained in lifeguarding skills. On the first day of the course, you must pass the water skills test shown below in order to continue in the course. You will be certified in Lifeguarding/First Aid (2 years) and CPR/AED Professional Rescuer (1 year) if you attend all course sessions, successfully perform all required skills, complete and pass 3 final skill scenarios, and pass the written exam with a grade of at least 80%. The fee for the course is $450
- December 3,10,17 (Sundays)-1:00-9:00pm
2018 Spring Classes
- February 4th, 11th, 18th (Sundays 1-9 pm )
- March 4th, 11th, 18th (Sundays 1-9 pm )
- April 8th, 15th, 22nd (Sundays 1-9 pm )
- May 20th, 27th, June 3rd (Sundays 1-9 pm )
You must attend all sessions and be 15 years old by the last day of classes. Space is limited and registration will be on a first come first served basis so register early.Prerequisites:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. There is no time limit for this test.
Complete the following within one minute and forty seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
AMERICAN RED CROSS LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION
This option is for currently certified lifeguards to review skills including water rescues, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and first aid. The course incorporates a blended learning format with online training sessions, classroom skills, and water rescue activities.
Lifeguard Recertification Prerequisites: participants must provide proof of valid Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications and pass the pre-course :
In order to take this class you must be able to pass the Prerequisite skills test:
Swim 300 yards continuously, using both front crawl and breaststroke. In the following order: 100 yards of front crawl (a.k.a.freestyle) using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. 100 yards of breaststroke, 100 yards of either front crawl or breaststroke.
Surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object (with both hands and must keep your face above water) and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Tread water for 2 minutes without support and without stopping, only legs can be used, arms must be placed across the chest, hands in armpits.
2018 Classes - all classes run 1-9 pm