Rockland County YMCA Wants to Awaken Summer Imagination at Annual Healthy Kids Day®
Event encourages kids to stay active and keep learning all summer long
NYACK, April 6, 2018—On Saturday, April 21 from 12-4, the Rockland County YMCA is holding a FREE community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. Our annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, held as part of the Y’s national initiative is an opportunity to ignite children’s imaginations so that they can imagine what they’ll accomplish this summer. The event features activities such as kids yoga and Zumba, crafts, organized games, healthy cooking demonstrations, bouncy castle and parent information seminars to teach families how to develop and maintain healthy routines at home throughout the summer months. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically and gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
“When a child is healthy, happy, and supported they can make great things happen,” says Maire Brosnan Katavolos, Senior Vice President. “We believe in the potential of all children, and we strive to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer,” said Ms. Brosnan Katavolos
Keeping Kids Healthy All Summer Long
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits this summer that can have a lifetime effect:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Read Together –Take trips to the local library or create a family reading challenge to see who can log the most minutes of reading. Encourage youth to create their own stories as well.
- Get Moving! – Activities that require movement also help kids flex their mental muscle.
- Play Together – Put more play into your family’s day, you will soon find yourself getting the activity that will have your family feeling energized and strong.
- Make sleep a priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12, Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
The Rockland County YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day takes place at the Nyack building 35 S. Broadway, Nyack, NY from 12-4 and features fun, active play and educational activities, such as a veggie buffet sponsored by Fairway Market, organized games and fitness activities, kids Zumba and kids yoga.
Locally, Healthy Kids Day is sponsored by Hudson River Healthcare, Fairway Markets and Shoprite Inserra
For more information, contact Maire Brosnan Katavolos at 845-358-6608
CLICK HERE FOR A FLYER